Without doubt this Thai fish and coconut soup is one of my favorite soups in the world, for its delicate but aromatic flavor. There are countless times we have cooked it at home; winter is cold and I can’t avoid to cook a tasty soup for dinner.
If you like coconut, you have to add it in a savoury recipes, because the result is amazing. Coconut milk brings an extra creaminess and flavour to the soup, that it combines very ell with the fish. It will not leave you indifferent.
Besides, based on this recipe, we have three options:
- Serve the fish with the broth: it is a very good choice for dinner. We always eat it with a homemade pita bread (you have the link to the pita bread recipe in the ingredients list).
- Rice combines perfectly with this soup, so add rice to have a main dish. This is the perfect lunch.
- Add some noodles to have a main dish, it won’t be as heavy as the previous option. We serve for lunch or for dinner.
Ingredients for Thai fish and coconut soup (serves 6):
- 2 small onions
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 liter homemade fish broth
- 400 gr coconut milk*
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon curry
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 4 fillets of hake
- 250 gr frozen peeled prawns
- 15 gr peeled peanuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Fresh cilantro
In addition (optional):
- Pita bread
* Remember that coconut milk and coconut water there are NOT the same ingredient. The coconut milk to cook usually comes in cans.
How to make Thai fish and coconut soup:
In a baking dish put the unpeeled tomatoes, the unpeeled garlic cloves and the branches of thyme. Add a generous squirt of olive oil, cover the dish with foil and roast it at 200 °C about 40 minutes. Remember that the roast time depends on the size of tomatoes.
Then, let cool -to not burn our hands- and peel and chop the tomatoes; mix with the thyme leaves and the mashed roasted garlic.
Chop the onion and fry until tender, add the tomato and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauté 3 minutes and add the coconut milk, curry, ginger, salt and pepper to taste and let simmer about 5 minutes.
Grind it and add the fish broth; let boil about 10 minutes. Taste the soup for salt, pepper or spices.
Cut the fish fillets and add to the broth; also add the prawns and cook it until it’s cooked.
Serve and, at the last moment, sprinkle it with some peanuts and chopped fresh cilantro.
I love this soup with homemade pita bread.
¡Taste it and share your foodie experience!